Monday, June 19, 2006

 

LED Throwies... Nifty!

Looking around on the net, I stumbled upon the phenomenon of LED throwies, which is pretty cool. Basically it's a simple device made of a LED, tape, and a small battery (something like a CR2032).

Then some other genius has added some chip to make 'em blink stored morse code. I'm sure you're thinking what's the point? Screw that! Who knows morse code these days anyways...

I half agree with you, but I see a way to take it to the next level. Yes, screw the morse code as only a few diehard geeks really know it. But that programmable blinking message part is still very cool. Now you're wondering why? Not like there's much else in blinking codes, is there?

Now take a look at a single bulb in a scrolling marquee type sign. On its own it looks pretty random and morse-codish too, doesn't it... Do you get where I'm going? If someone could make a big enough grid with properly placed and programmed "talking throwies", they can put up an animated marquee billboard.

Yeah it'd take a bit of time to figure out, but I can see this being done eventually. Afterall it's merely an extension of readily available media and technology.

Hmmm... Me and these stupid things I find.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?