Wednesday, October 12, 2005

 

The problem with a torquey motor is...

...by the time you get it loud, the car is usually exceeding the legal speed limit. Anyhow, sometimes it's tempting to humor these locos driving buzz bombs by letting the ol' bulletproof 3.4L Chevy aluminum block 60° V-6 in my Pontiac Grand Am GT breathe a bit. Of course I could just put the gear selector in L1 and leave it there to make some noise, but that's kinda dumb and hard on the transmission. Well I guess breaking the tires loose and burning 'em is dumb too, but it's plenty fun.

Go figure... Most people underestimate the Grand Am... It already has a good amount of power to start with, only problem is a bit too much fat. It's ironic that people would rather add things to a cheap light car to make it faster, when it's probably even cheaper yet to take things off a moderately priced "overweight" car and make it even quicker.

Now if I figure out a way to make some decent money, there's the boost option. I swore I heard somewhere that a mild bit (6 psi) would give almost 100HP extra. That's adding more than half an engine to the 175 it's got already. Only problem with that is having to run premium all the time... Gas prices are high enough as it is on regular... That's what I get for thinking of these things...

And some other random bit I thought was funny... Something I saw on Monster Garage (VW Beetle dragster episode) that I'll have to remember when I see a bright yellow car. As quoted by Jesse James - "I hate yellow. Yellow just means that you're chicken."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?